INSOMNIA ~ I CAN’T SLEEP
Most people relate sleep problems to a lack of melatonin but believe it or not it may also be a gut problem! How can your digestive system affect your sleep? Let’s talk……
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid meaning it must be obtained through diet. What is an amino acid? Amino Acids are the building blocks of the body. We need them to build a solid foundation for our health. They are created from the proteins that we eat BUT if we don’t have the proper digestive enzymes to break those proteins down then we won’t be able to create those amino acids AND/OR if there is inflammation in our gut which will prevent the absorption of those amino acids. We require tryptophan to produce niacin (vitamin B3) and for tryptophan to do its job Vitamin B6 (pyridoxin) and Vitamin C are must be present Tryptophan also helps alleviate stress, helps reduce appetite, control weight and abnormal levels may contribute to migraine headaches. If there is a deficiency it can result in Depression, Insomnia, and Chronic Fatigue. Tryptophan is vital for creating neurotransmitters such as serotonin, melatonin and Vitamin B6.
What are neurotransmitters? Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that transmit signals from one nerve cell to another. Some neurotransmitters are created from amino acids (tryptophan) which are available from the diet such as Serotonin (neurotransmitter). These neurotransmitters play a major role in shaping our life and our bodies functions and one of those functions is sleep.
Serotonin is the neurotransmitter important to sleep and it also stabilizes emotional moods, pain control and inflammation. Tryptophan is converts into 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) which is then converted into the neurotransmitter serotonin.
Ok, so let’s summarize this simply; if you have digestive problems (which you may or not be aware of) your enzymes may not be breaking down the proteins that create the amino acid tryptophan which is converted into the neurotransmitter serotonin which you need for sleep.
With that said, this could be just one underlying factor that is preventing you from a good night’s sleep. What is causing your digestive issues and what are some other insomnia possibilities? Schedule your Zyto scan and let’s see what your body tells us and what your body needs and wants to get balanced!
What's Your Poison??
Do you know that you are poisoning your body daily? It’s frightening what our bodies are being exposed to and without our conscious knowledge or permission. We believe that everything that is on the market today is safe for us. If you depend on government agencies like the FDA to protect you from harmful ingredients in the products you use and the food you eat, you are playing Russian Roulette with your health.
There is a chemical onslaught happening right under our noses. Since 1965 more than 4 million chemical compounds have been formulated and at least 250,000 new chemicals are created annually. Approximately 3,000 chemicals are added to our foods through the growing and manufacturing process. Over 700 chemicals have been found in our drinking water, with 400 being identified in human tissues. Have I got your attention yet? Those are chemicals just found in what we ingest!
More than 500 chemicals on average are found in the typical American home. This includes your cleaning products, laundry products, air fresheners, disinfectant sprays, etc. Then we have the personal care products, cosmetics and perfumes. The average woman is exposed to a whopping 515 synthetic chemicals every day!
When you view the below picture of how these products affect the body, it is no surprise we are seeing a rise in men, women and children with symptoms directly related to hormone disruption!
Let’s just investigate one of these chemicals Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). This is a chemical used to make toiletry products foam when they are mixed with water. Why is a dangerous chemical like this being used in our soaps and shampoos? The answer is simple - it is cheap. It works by dissolving the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. This is the same chemical used in car washes and used to dissolve grease off car enginesand we are using and exposing our bodies to this daily!
It is also well documented that it is not only a skin irritant, but it also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin. Once it has been absorbed, one of the main effects of sodium lauryl sulfate is to mimic the activity of the hormone which has many health implications for adults and even more so for the future health of our children. It may be responsible for a variety of health problems from PMS and Menopausal symptoms to dropping male fertility and increasing female cancers such as breast cancer.
SLS can be found in Soaps, Shampoos, Bubble-baths, Tooth paste, Dish soap, Laundry Detergent, Fabric Softener, Children/Infant soaps-shampoos-lotions, Stain Remover, Carpet Cleaner, Body wash, Shave cream, Mascara, Mouthwash, Skin cleanser, Body Lotion, Moisturizers, Sunscreens/After Sun lotions, to name a few. I have even found it to be in products being marketed as “natural” so beware!
Just thinking about the products you use that contain just SLS is overwhelming, so just imagine how your body feels being bombarded every day by all the chemicals you are being exposed to. How long will it be before your body becomes chemically overloaded? Maybe it already is.
Are you or a family member experiencing unexplained physical or emotional symptoms, or have you been diagnosed with issues that never seem to get any better no matter what you throw at it? Your body may be trying to communicate “chemical overload” to you.
We will never be able to be completely chemical free. We live in a world that has not yet awakened to the destructive nature of synthetic chemicals in our environment, but we can take control and take the steps to reduce it in our personal life and in our homes. When we choose “chemical free” products over chemical laden products we not only improve our health and that of our family’s, we are sending a clear message to these chemical manufacturers and our government agencies with where we spend our money!
You may feel chemical free products are costlier but in the long run, what is costlier than the expense and needless suffering of being unhealthy?
The Spine - Your Communication Highway!
Our spine is a series of vertebrae extending from the skull to the small of the back, enclosing the spinal cord and providing support for the thorax and abdomen; the backbone. That is the simple definition but it’s what is within that enclosed spinal cord that makes the spine an amazing communication highway!
Along with the brain, the spinal cord makes up the central nervous system. The spinal cord acts as a communication highway between the brain and the rest of the body sending out messages (nerve impulses) to tell the body what to do. Each vertebra’s spinal nerve root has a direct relationship to specific organs, glands and systems.
Here are just a few:
Our C-1 (Cervical) vertebrae is directly related to our brain, the blood supply to the head, the pituitary gland and inner ear. If there is a road block/subluxation in that location, you could experience headaches, migraines, nervousness, insomnia, dizziness, chronic tiredness, head colds or high blood pressure.
The C2 vertebrae is connected to our mastoid bone, ears, eyes, sinuses, optic nerve, forehead and tongue. A road block/subluxation here could result in sinus problems, allergies, deafness, eye problems, earaches or feeling faint.
The TH-1 (Thoracic) can affect the hands, wrists, fingers, esophagus and trachea which can cause problems such as shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, asthma, coughing or lower arms and hand pain.
Your L-1 (Lumbar) vertebrae is directly related to the large intestine. When this vertebra has a road block/subluxation you may experience constipation, diarrhea, colitis or hernia.
There are 26 of these vertebrae (nerve roots) that must be in alignment for optimal body function. A healthy spine means healthy functioning organs, glands and systems. Chiropractors are trained to remove those roadblocks/subluxations and clear that communication highway so the messages (nerve impulses) can get through and do their job. Seeing a Chiropractor on a regular basis should be a part of every wellness plan.
Could your symptoms be the result of garbled messages and lack of communication due to a road block/subluxation?
If you would like to see a chart of the spine and all the vertebrae/organ relationships, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with SPINE in the subject line!
Feeling Weighted Down?
Did you know that many of our foods now contain chemicals that can be stored in your fat cells? Processed foods contain preservatives, pesticides, additives, pollutants, heavy metals, and other environmental chemicals. Your body was not designed to detoxify all these toxins and so it will begin to store them within your fat cells. As these toxins accumulate, the body responds with symptoms of inflammation.
Are you experiencing digestive issues? A feeling of being bloated, acid indigestion, gas, diarrhea, constipation, and cramping can all be signs of insufficient digestive enzymes. If you aren’t digesting your food properly the chances are high that you are also storing toxins in your fat cells.
Are you feeling sluggish and tired? A toxic overload will overburden the body, compromise your immune system and drain your energy.
Are you staying well hydrated? Dehydration can also cause your body to store toxins. Drinking WATER is vital to helping to remove and flush toxins out of the body!
Are you staying active? The lymphatic system is a part of the detoxification process in the body. It only functions properly through physical activity.
Inactivity can result in a stagnant lymphatic system. A stagnant lymph can become a toxic breeding ground for disease.
Are you supporting your liver? The liver is your body’s chemical factory. It helps to remove the toxins that the body is exposed to daily. When the liver becomes overwhelmed with more than it can process, the toxins find their way into the fat cells.
What can you do to help support the body and release these toxins stored in your fat cells?
1.Take digestive enzymes
2.Be physically active
3.Drink at least ten 8oz glasses of pure filtered water per day
4.Cleanse the liver
Once you have taken these steps you will find you have more energy, crave healthier foods and will begin to lose those unwanted pounds.
Fibromyalgia. The Pain is Real. (A Personal Perspective)
If you suffer with fibromyalgia I can honestly say that I know exactly how you feel. In 1999 I myself was diagnosed with it at the age of 45. It started with muscle pain in my calves and over a period of one week the pain worked its way up until one morning my whole body was enveloped in excruciating pain. For the next 6 years I endured relentless pain throughout my body. I was prescribed medication and then more medication for the side effects of the medication. I was informed by the many doctors I saw that there was no cure and I would need to learn how to accept the existence of my life as it were.
So, what is fibromyalgia? Merriam-Webster Definition of fibromyalgia
: a chronic disorder characterized by widespread pain, tenderness, and stiffness of muscles and associated connective tissue structures that is typically accompanied by fatigue, headache, and sleep disturbances
I would say that pretty much defines my experience. My entire body was screaming every moment of every minute of every day. There was no pill that ever stopped it entirely, just a numbing down of it. It was always there, always.
So, what causes it? Oh, and here is where the depression of it all sets in. Not one doctor could tell me. Not one doctor could explain why my body seemed to be so dang mad at me. There was a lot of speculation, which of course included the newest, latest and greatest drug but no one ever took the time to find out why?! Why was my body reacting in this way? What caused my body to react this way? Aren’t doctors supposed to ask those questions and find out why? It truly felt like I was in the Twilight Zone’s Black Hole from Hell.
It took me 5 years to finally reach the bottom physically, emotionally and spiritually. I was literally done and had all I could take. I was 50 years old, lonely, depressed and not worth much to anyone. I was ready to give in, give up and let go. I didn’t have the energy or the passion for this kind of life anymore. Then somewhere from inside, deep, deep down inside there came a surge of strength and rebellion. I made a promise that I would surrender, listen take responsibility and allow myself to be guided to the answers.
I sought out a holistic chiropractor and I began to uncover my illness layer by layer. What I learned on my personal journey led me to a bigger purpose as I went back to school and became a Certified Holistic Health Practitioner.
My personal journey along with my education and the opportunity to work with clients these past few years has given me a better insight as to what I believe is the underlying cause of fibromyalgia. I believe it is the result of a body engulfed in inflammation due to physical/emotional stress, toxic chemical overload and candida.
Simply put, when something is introduced into the body, it is processed by the body as either nutrition or not nutrition. If it is not nutrition, the body must decide as what to do with it. Our bodies are created to naturally detoxify through different organs and systems but what happens if there is a constant tsunami of toxins? What happens if those organs and systems cannot keep up and become overwhelmed?
The constant barrage of chemicals in our; food, water, air, personal care products, cleaning products, OTC, medications, begins to irritate and overwhelm the body’s systems creating inflammation and the perfect environment for Candida to begin to grow. Eventually the body can’t keep up with the toxins, the Candida has taken over, and the toxins keep coming. The body is now in full blown toxin overload stress mode. It is unable process anymore toxins at this point, so it begins to store these them in the muscles and tissue until eventually they can’t take anymore and now they have become inflamed, hence the pain of fibromyalgia.
Once diagnosed the chemical barrage continues and is now intensified even more by prescribed medications which only address the symptoms; alleviate pain, depression, insomnia, etc. It is now layer upon layer upon layer of multiple causes to the single diagnosis of fibromyalgia.
I will be honest with you, healing from fibromyalgia takes determination. You must want it and literally fight for it. There are days you wonder if it’s worth it and if you will ever feel normal again. I had to get mad at it. It was my enemy and I was not going to let it take my life away from me! I had to outsmart it, starve the monster and not give it what it wanted. I had to take control and not let anything, or anyone deter me. I was fortunate to have a support system within my family who allowed me to be selfish with my self-care. For 6 months it was all about me and what I needed to do, be and have to heal myself.
I highly recommend you find a doctor, holistic practitioner, chiropractor or other health professional to help support you, not to dictate but support! If you are on medications, you must never try to withdraw or stop taking them abruptly. You must have the professional guidance of the doctor who prescribed them or if that doctor will not work with you on this, find one who will!
Below are the lessons learned on my journey.
- 1.TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR OWN HEALTH! CHANGE YOUR MINDSET! It’s time to stop giving your health over to someone else to fix. Only YOU can do that! Find that inner voice, your inner strength and get mad! You deserve a healthy, pain free life! Stop believing that this is a chronic life long disease. It’s NOT! I believe you can change your health but first you must change your belief!
- I had let everyone tell ME what was wrong. It was a constant barrage of negativity every time I saw a doctor. My blood pressure was up, my weight was up, my attitude was bad………I was beaten down with every visit. I listened, and I claimed every single word that was said to me until I became it. I was told there was no cure and there was nothing I could do to get better. Just accept it and take these pills. When you Believe it, You Become it!
- 2. DE-STRESS! What is stressing you? Is it your job? Your personal life? Your belief system? Identify what is stressing you in your life.
- Stress is more than likely what started this cascade of symptoms that resulted in your diagnosis and yes, there were other symptoms before the pain. Maybe digestive troubles, headaches, insomnia, exhaustion? Remember, there will always be stress, life happens, but it’s how you respond to that stress that will determine your body’s reaction. Learn how to diffuse it through meditation, prayer, exercise, positive thinking. Learn to let go. Learn how to detach. This is not negotiable!
- 3. BREAK OLD HABITS NOW! Are you feeding your body or using it for a garbage disposal? Stop eating processed foods! If it comes in a box or a bag, it’s full of chemicals which are adding to your overburdened body! Eat fresh foods cooked at home, organic if possible, just do the best your can to avoid chemical preservatives. No Diet foods or drinks. Learn to read labels! Aspartame and MSG (monosodium glutamate) can be an underlying cause of toxic overload.
- I didn’t realize that I was highly sensitive to Aspartame and MSG. Once I excluded those from my diet my migraines completely went away. I was a junk food junkie because it was easy and that was what busy people do. No time to cook nutritious meals for myself. I also drank a 12 pack, yes that’s right, a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi a day. I also loved Ranch Dressing and used it on everything. I was poisoning my body with Aspartame and MSG and I didn’t have a clue!
- 4. DETOX CANDIDA! Candida equals inflammation. It is an overgrowth of yeast in the body. What feeds yeast? SUGAR! Get sugar out of your diet and stop feeding and perpetuating your inflammation. Once you make that decision, you can begin a detox diet and the process of killing it off. Once step at a time!
- Detoxing Candida too quickly can cause the Candida to re-absorb which is not a pleasant experience at all. It can cause headaches, nausea, and overall sick feeling. I did regular detox footbaths and learned to love drinking lots of water to keep my system flushed to remove it as it died off. Giving up sugar was probably the most difficult for me. The Candida will make your body crave it and you will have a battle with yourself but don’t give in to it. When you crave it and don’t give in, just envision you are starving that nasty monster and one step closer to healing! Just one cookie or piece of bread or cracker and the whole process must start
- 5. CHIROPRACTIC CARE! Get to a chiropractor! Those toxins need to be released from connective tissues that hold your skeletal system together. Build a relationship with a chiropractor so they know your situation. Sometimes adjustments will release toxins and make you feel lousy. Drink water, water, water. Keeping the spine in alignment will also help with the detoxification process. The Spine is related to every organ in the body so keep those lines of communication open!
- My chiropractor was a huge support and educated me on so many things on my journey. Having a healthy adjusted spine will help your body heal more quickly and give the body’s systems the ability to function properly. I urge you to include this in your journey, not alone but in addition.
- 6. THERAPEUTIC MASSAGE! Find a qualified therapeutic massage therapist that has knowledge of how to massage someone with a toxic overload. Massage can be helpful to remove toxins but too much too soon can be disheartening.
- I was not educated about massage and just went to one I found. They were not educated at all in toxic overload and gave me a deep tissue massage which forced way too many toxins into my body and made me deathly ill. The muscles are storage areas for toxins and that one massage set me back about 2 weeks.
- 7. DETOX FOOTBATH/SAUNA THERAPY! As your body kills off the Candida you want to get it and the other toxins out of your body. You can support your body’s efforts by having a detox footbath and/or using an infra-red sauna. Again, be sure you have guidance from your health provider on either of these two therapies. Too much of either too soon can cause rapid detox symptoms.
- Be sure you seek a qualified person and I highly recommend someone who has an Ioncleanse detox footbath. The Ioncleanse can be regulated and most others cannot. I learned the hard way and did a session for too long at too high a setting which pulled too much out at one time. The toxins that were pulled out of my tissue were then reabsorbed and again, the consequences were not pleasant. If the footbath can’t be regulated a shorter session is recommended. Also, if you take a prescription medication for another health challenge, take it after the footbath as it’s benefits can be compromised during the session.
- 8. ACUPUNCTURE THERAPY! Acupuncture can be beneficial for your emotional/mental state. It can help with relaxation, depression, your energy level and more. It is also good to boost the immune system, and this is especially important during detoxification. Yes, detoxing is good, but it is also a stress on the body so remember, slow and steady, don’t rush the journey!
- I used acupuncture when my Candida die off seemed to be peaking. There would be a die off and I would feel pretty crappy and then I would feel pretty good until the next one. It was a roller coaster ride for a while and the acupuncture seemed to help me get over those die off hurdles. It took about 6 months of being dedicated to my diet and therapies for the Candida to finally be gone.
- 9. HYDRATION! YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST DRINK WATER! NOT TEA, NOT SODA, NOT JUICE! You would not get into the shower and try to get clean with anything, but water and the inside of your body is no different! Think of it as taking a shower on the inside to clean all the toxins away! It is preferable if you can drink filtered water instead of tap. Water needs to become your best friend! Even if you think you drink plenty of water, you will want to drink more during this process!!
- I admit, I hated water. I never drank it. I drank anything but water. Sad but true. I had to learn to love it and now I drink it without thinking. For me it was mind over matter. I just envisioned flushing out the pain with every drink! It was my ammunition against the enemy and with every glass I was winning the battle!
10. INVENTORY TOXINS IN YOUR HOME! Start replacing toxins in your home! Find healthier cleaning options. You truly don’t need bleach and other harsh chemicals to clean and sanitize your home. Also, check out those personal care products. Your soaps, toothpaste, makeup, deodorant, detergents, spot cleaner, fabric softener, lotions, perfumes, they all contain harmful chemicals. Do your research and read labels. Trust me, you only want to take this journey once, get rid of those things that can lead you back in the wrong direction.
- This was a process for me. My home was full of the usual products that you see advertised. I took it a step at a time and eventually I replaced all of it. One of the hardest habits to break early on was my perfume addiction. I loved my White Diamonds and so did my husband. I kind of felt less attractive not having my “scent” but I managed to find a healthier replacement for that as well. Trust me, you don’t have to compromise if you find the right products. You and your house can be clean and healthy without the chemicals.
- 11. SLEEP! YES SLEEP! This was another lesson I had to learn. The body needs it’s time to heal and the only time it can use its energy to heal is when we are sleeping. Healing is stressful, it takes a lot of energy to repair the damage we have caused our bodies. Force yourself to be on a schedule. Get up at the same time every morning no matter how bad you feel and go to bed at the same time every night no matter what! You must stick to this, so your body can get into a rhythm of knowing when healing time can begin.
- Yes, this was a challenge especially at first but as I did all the things I mention in combination with each other, it did get easier. I set my bedtime at 9pm and up at 7am and I stuck to that regiment for a very long time. I would start winding down at least 30 minutes beforehand. Sometimes I would read or take a warm bath, get a foot rub from hubby but always with the mindset that it was bedtime and no mind cluttering worries of what didn’t get done or needed to get done or what tomorrow would bring. Eventually it became a habit. I still look at sleep as my healing time!
- My fibromyalgia journey has ended but it gave me a renewed passion and purpose in life. I have learned to listen to my body and be aware of the slightest symptom of disharmony and I know the appropriate action to take whether it be physical, emotional or spiritual. I continue to educate myself and others on how to find balance, how to identify imbalance and most important how to be in gratitude and joy!
- I don’t wish such a journey on anyone, but I do look back on it as a blessing. You never know how bright the light can be until you have experienced such darkness and despair!
- You can email me here email@example.com
Essential Oils.....Whats the Big Deal?
Unless have been completely cutoff from any kind of social media, you have undoubtedly heard about or seen something about essential oils. So, what is the big deal? Are essential oils just the latest craze in the health and wellness industry?
I know the first time I heard of essential oils 10 years ago I was skeptical and not the least bit interested. It seemed almost laughable to me that anyone could or would believe that they had any health benefits whatsoever! The more I heard, the more curious I became until I just had to do some research for myself and I was amazed with what I learned.
- vEssential oils are not oily
- vEssential oils have been used for thousands of years
- vEssential oils have therapeutic health benefits
- vEssential oils are more potent than herbs
- vEssential oils are used topically, internally and for aromatherapy
- vEssential oils are not all the same
- vEssential oils are natures medicine
- vEssential oils are easy to use
- vEssential oils have no side effects
- vEssential oils can uplift emotions
With this information I began to explore the possibilities and I discovered that the possibilities were endless. It is very easy to let fear of the unknown and inexperience overwhelm. Once you make the decision to begin an essential oils journey it’s a good idea to start with just one oil. Take your time and be conscious of your experience. Put a drop or two in your hand, then rub your hands together, cup your hands over your nose and breathe deeply. Immediately the aroma of that oil will begin to change the chemistry of your brain. For instance, if you use lavender, your body will be prompted to relax, and your stress and anxiety level will be reduced. It happens instantaneously and with no ill side effects.
You can take that same lavender essential oil and dilute it with a carrier oil like coconut, almond, olive, jojoba or a carrier of your choosing and use it topically applying to relax tense muscles. The lavender essential oil will be absorbed into the skin immediately, go deep into the tissues and begin to reduce the soreness and tightness of the muscle.
A therapeutic supplement grade lavender essential oil (should be labeled as supplement) can be taken internally to alleviate allergy symptoms. Three to 5 drops in a capsule with a carrier oil can be taken as often as needed and without any side effects. Allergy symptom relief can last anywhere from 3-5 hours.
Here are some red flags to look for:
- Label states not for ingestion (contains chemicals/not safe for aromatherapy, topical application or ingestion)
- Make statements of miraculous healing
- Make claims on their website but not on their labeling
- No dietary facts on label
There is one more suggestion I would make and that would be to have an essential oil mentor. Having someone who is already using essential oils can make the journey less intimidating. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. The more you know, the more success you will have and the more comfortable you will become using essential oils.
I know for myself and for my clients, essential oils have become a healthy habit. I encourage you to start your essential oil journey today!
Pamela Heyen #108294
Thieves Week Summary
8 Essential Oils to Inspire the Creative Genius in YOU!
Me & Popeye (TOOT TOOT)
My 2016 epiphany!
I am a BIG believer in Personal Development and so I have read, studied and observed those with certain
attributes that I don't possess. Watching and listening, trying to mimic, trying to be a better me.
Working on my fears, my habits, my words. Learning new approaches,new tactics, identifying tells, seeing
people as colors, choosing specific language, social media marketing...... it makes my head spin thinking
I worked so hard on being a better me that I started to lose the very essence of who I was. What started
out as personal development became personality suicide. I wanted to be a better me, not a better clone
of someone else!
Somewhere along the line, I began to believe "me" wasn't good enough. I wasn't working on building a
better me, I was acting, I was going through the motions, I was being someone I was not. I was not doing
personal development, I was doing "me" destruction. I stopped believing in myself, I stopped
trusting my heart, I stopped enjoying who I was and I began to forget who the real me was. I was in
a very conflicted state of mind, heart and soul.
I had been given a purpose and a path to follow. I had been guided to be in this place at this time.
No one said, do all these things, change and then you will be given this purpose.
I was chosen, just as I was, with every flaw, every bad habit, living where I live, dressing like I dress,
being exactly who I was.All those things that I was trying to change that I thought would make me
a better me, that held me back from being successful, were the very reasons I was chosen for
this purpose. They were the very reasons I felt such a passion. All those things that I came to
dislike about myself and desperately wanted to change, were the very things that made me, ME!
So, is personal development the devil in disguise? NO, it was my interpretation of it. It was
my flawed belief system. I didn't understand how to apply it. You aren't suppose to lose the essence
of who you are but to build on those rare qualities that only you posses. You are to become a better
version of YOU, more comfortable, more confident. You learn to trust yourself, your path, your
purpose with even more passion and you learn to embrace your flaws and bad habits. It's about
becoming a better human being not becoming a better human doing!
How can we hope to help those with bad habits and flaws if we can't accept our own?
How can we ever claim we don't judge if we secretly judge ourselves everyday?
These are the things that block us, these are what keeps us from fulfilling our purpose.
Personal development gives us the ability to discover and accept ourselves as we are
and grow in the essence of who we are.
Once I realized what I had been doing, I went back and reviewed some things. I re-read with
my new belief system and it was so much more empowering! I felt a weight had been lifted
and I finally felt free to be me. Personal development brings out more of the good that is you.
It makes you smile on the inside with a knowing that you can achieve anything. It gives you
wings to soar over obsticles that block you. It ignites and keeps that passion burning
for the purpose you have been given!
2017 is going to be an AMAZING year!
Happy New & Blessed Year!
If It's Not In Your Wallet, It Could Be In Your Subconscious! (wink)
The definition of goals; the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
Every month my mentor would ask me, "What are your goals for this month"? Every personal development book, video, and article would stress the importance of "goals". Goals, Goals, Goals, the word made me cringe! My first thought was always, what a joke, no one ever reaches their goals, it's "pie in the sky wishing", might as well just cross your fingers and wish on a star! I had a deep aversion to that word "goals" but never gave it much thought. It was my sad perception and belief that goals were just wishes that never came true. Yep, I was not buying into all that goal setting stuff, waste of time and energy for me.
I didn't believe in goals but I did believe passionately in personal development. I want to be the best me I can be and especially as I am now in a leadership role in my business. I choose to listen everyday to inspiring and motivational speakers like Darren Hardy, Eric Worre, Tony Robbins and Jim Rohn. I read and take copious notes to engrave the words into my brain. I want to be a better person, a better leader and successful at what I do (just no goals please).
I just attended a GO PRO weekend with some of the greatest personal development leaders on the planet and not only do they inspire but they make you THINK! What you THINK is crucial to your personal and professional life. Your thoughts create your reality, you are the master of your life. No matter how many times you are told something, only you can accept and act on it. Your thoughts are your beliefs and your perceptions of your reality. Your thoughts can block you or propel you! Hmmmm.....some pretty deep stuff but it got me thinking!! I started thinking about what could be blocking me. I knew there was something, I could feel it. I was spinning my wheels but what was it?
Now it's not as easy as just asking the question, the answer doesn't just magically appear but it does start a conversation with your subconscious.....you know that little voice that is constantly talking in your head. The one that seems to want to see you fail and seems to sabotage you at every turn. That negative self talk that doesn't want to let go of those beliefs and perceptions that are holding you back. Yep, that one. It's only when you start a conscious conversation that you can drowned it out and that is exactly what happened for me.
I was talking with one of my team members. We were discussing about how easy it was to influence people in a job they had been doing for years but found it challenging to do the very same thing in her business. We were brainstorming and discussing and I shared my block with her about "goals"......the dreaded goals! As soon as I said the word "goals", it was like a bolt of lightening struck and pierced the lock on my subconscious door and it swung open. There it was, the answer to why I hated the very word "goals"! You are gonna love this...........
In my early 20's, I worked as a Activities Director for a local Nursing Home. It was my job to motivate and inspire the residents there. Most of these residents were not ambulatory, unable to take care of the own basic needs, diagnosed with Alzheimer's or severe dementia or stroke victims. Many were unable to even control their own bodily functions. Some had no family, others had family that had forgotten them. These elderly people had little or no quality of life and the ones that did still have their minds knew that they had come there to die, they were never going home. Depressing? You bet and it was my impossible job to look past the obvious, look past the physical, emotional and mental challenges and write short term and long term GOALS for them in their charts! Did you catch that? Yes, I said goals! The State required that each residents chart contain "goals" that they could aspire to!
So, what kinds of goals do you think a bedridden, non-verbal, drugged resident would aspire to? What would be your short term and long term goal be for that person? The nursing goal was to keep them comfortable and prevent bed sores but what about an activities goal? I became very disillusioned with goals. Goals were nothing more than "pie in the sky wishes" for these residents. Goals were just words written down in a chart to satisfy a State workers inspection. Goals were unattainable and sad. The ultimate goals for these residents was to just end the suffering, pain and humiliation of living.
BOOM! There it was, my perception, my belief, my block regarding goals. Everytime I heard that word "goals" it eeked out that icky, negative feeling from that door in my subconscious and I immediately opposed it. My conscious mind said NO WAY, goals are worthless, they are a dead end. I had made and unconscious connection to that word, created a belief, a perception that was created and stored in my subconscious over 40 years ago. It was a HUGE AH-HA moment for me!
With all that said, yes I identified this block but I still have a lot work of to do to overcome the aversion that's still there and change my subconscious belief and perception. Writing this blog is my starting place and next will be writing down goals for myself. (just that statement made me a little anxious).
It's a process, it's a journey and it's a GOAL!
Toenail Fungus Family Wellness Friday ~ Q&A with Pamela
Take the Offensive!
Don't ever start your day in neutral! Every morning you should be thinking offensively, moving forward, taking control of your day and your life.Taking the initiative opens doors of opportunity, being defensive leads to intimidation and always precedes defeat.
Make a decision to take the initiative and be decisive with your life. Be Bold, Be Unique, Be Persistent!
Be a person of Commitment and Endurance! Never quit and Never Worry! Remember: It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have that makes all the difference. You have two choices everyday, giving up or going on.
Live your life with Enthusiasm! The bigger the challenge you face, the more enthusiasm you will need. Your enthusiasm will reduce your stress, your fear and be an inspiration to those around you. Your attitude has a direct affect on your health. You can create doom, gloom, pessimism, despair and suffer the biological effects of those feelings or you can be a confident, positive and happy and reap the rewards of those feelings. Remember, a Smile is a Powerful Weapon!
Aim High, Take Risks! Don't waste your time planning and wishing, learn to reach for the possible, pursue your potential! Don't allow yourself to get caught up in the small stuff, choose to dream BIG and focus on those important issues.
Leap past mediocrity! Criticism is a compliment when you know what you are doing is right! Nothing has ever been accomplished without controversy so never allow other people's words to stop you. If you limit your actions so that nobody can find fault with you, you won't accomplish much.Critical people are either jealous or uninformed and very seldom have impact on the truth. Don't allow your dream to be interrupted by the noise of negative critics!
Steer clear of negative thinkers! Miserable people want you to wallow in their negativity with them. Seek out the people who bring out the best in you and influence you to become better and support your dreams! Pay attention to the closest relationships in your life and you will see if the direction you are heading is empowering or dis-empowering what you want to achieve. If you associate with Eagles, your will learn to Soar!
The important answers in life are found in asking ourselves the right questions! Are you growing, moving in the right direction or are you stifled, stumbling and at a dead end? Being honest with yourself about where you are is the first step to getting where you want to be!
In order to achieve your dream you must be decisive, focused and committed! You may not have all the facts, but don't be afraid to make a choice, make a decision, even if it's the wrong one.Choice not chance determines your destiny. Indecisive people need to be pushed and pulled but decisive people prevail and move forward with momentum! Every great accomplishment begins with a decision!
Procrastination is an excuse for not taking immediate action! Killing time kills your purpose and your dreams. Procrastinators are good at talking but they don't make any progress so take action, make progress, NOT excuses.
Procrastination holds us back and allows the best opportunities to pass us by!
Fear and worry cause us not to attempt where we should have dared to go! Our worries and fear choke off everything positive and productive in our lives.Dwelling on things out of our control leads us from somewhere to nowhere. Never let fear and worry direct your life!
Your words create your world! What you speak is powerful, use words that have a positive influence. What you say to yourself and others is a reflection of who you are.
Believe your biggest dream and write it down! Your vision is a dream that must be written and a commitment to achievement. Write the vision for your life on paper and then pursue it with passion!
You only fail when you don't learn anything from your experience! Your response to a failure will determine your success. Learn the lesson from your failure and keep moving forward. The greater your success mentality, the greater your capacit to get up and go on. Build on your experience and never look back!
Recognize your gift, talent and strength and build on them! You are a unique individual and have the ability to do certain things well, put all of them to good use. You have been given something extraordinary to fulfill your purpose and also to help others, there are people waiting on you to share them. Choose to define and refine those gifts and watch the growth surround you!
Put your dream into action! It takes work to achieve success. Ideas without action are just ideas. When a dream is mixed with action, magic happens!
You have options, which will you choose. You can be better or bitter, decisive or indifferent, positive or negative, a dreamer or a doer, committed or trying, growing or dying, progressing or regressing, You cannot have both you must make a choice!
Selfishness always leads to self destruction! A true leader is a servant to those they lead. Look for a way to give versus a way to get. Focus on the needs of others and your needs will be met.No one is truly a success until they learn how to serve!
There is Power in the word NO! Saying no to lesser things means saying yes to priorities in your life.The more you grow, the more you will have to say no to temptation that side tracks your dream and burs your focus No breaks the yoke of over-commitment and weakness and can free you from unnecessary burdens.
Shortcuts can be riddled with compromise and confusion! If you look for tricks or fads, you will never learn the trade. There is always a price for the shortcut and rob us of valuable lessons needed for our growth and ultimate success. Say no to shortcuts and stick to the path in front of you!
Go with the flow, be open and be sensitive to new things. You must be willing and open to change. Growth is wrought with adjusting, moving, correcting and being flexible. You won't be the same person who begins the journey, the experiences in your life will create change, embrace it!
Do something! Taking small steps starts the momentum. Don't worry about the long term goal, just get started. Your goal may seem unreachable but make a decision to start and you are halfway there. Start now!
Have a grudge? The weight of a chip on the shoulder will steal your thunder, drag you down and create lifelong bitterness! It's what happens in us not TO us that matters....forgive! The POWER OF FORGIVENESS WILL FREE YOU TO FOCUS ON YOUR DREAMS!
It's not the obstacle, it's your perception of it. The biggest lie you can tell yourself is that things will not change. Obstacles subdue mediocre people but great leaders rise above them. There is always an answer...in times of adversity, you don't have an obstacle, you have a choice.Some of our best opportunities are disguised as our biggest obstacles.
A leader is a Lion not a sheep. Be the Lion! Be the Leader! Be full of praise, learn to say "thank you and please" on your way to the top, always be growing, always be dreaming, be unafraid of confrontation, talk about your own mistakes before those of others, have integrity, make others better, praise and encourage, be genuinely interested in others, take others up with you, respond to your failures before they are revealed, be specific about what is expected, hold others accountable, do what is right versus what is popular and become a servant.
You are unique.Average people compare themselves to others but we should compare ourselves with the person we believe we are suppose to be; the unique purpose and design for our individual lives.. Copying others cheats you out of the fullness of who you are and what you can be, comparison is not proof of anything! Accept and become the person you were made to be, tap into your originality and your creative genius. Never judge yourself by your weaknesses, you are richer than you think you are. Be what you are and you will be at peace with yourself. Be Original. Be YOU!
When you make excuses, you give your power to change.Find a way not an excuse. Never complain and never explain. Making up excuses and alibis is wasted time which is much better spent planning, pereparing and working towards your goals in life. An alibi is just a lie.
We all have 24 hours in a day. It's not how much you do, it's how much you finish. Not saying no when you should is one of the biggest causes of wasted time.The future arrives an hour at a time, gain control of your time, and you will gain control of your life. Devote one hour a day, six days a week to a project and your desire will become a reality sooner than you think.Control your time and you control your life!
Anger and rage. Time spent in getting even is better used in trying to get ahead. Blowing your stack always adds to the air pollution and you will never get to the top if you keep blowing yours.Anger is like a boomerang and it will surely hit you harder than anyone or anything at which you throw it.
It's hard to climb when your character is low. Never be ashamed of doing whats right. A person that lives right and is right has more power in his silence than another has in his words.If you will think about what you ought to do for other people, your character will take care of itself. Would the child your were be proud of the person you have become? It's hard to climb high when your character is low.
Be the best person you can be. Don't settle for anything than your dream. Never look behind you. Keep moving forward with momentum. Make the decision and commitment to take the steps necessary to achieve your goals. Surround yourself with positive and empowering people.
My wish for you, A LIFE OF PASSION & PURPOSE!!
From the book An Enemy Called Average by John Mason